Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Natumi












T
he reason for starting a blog... hmmm?

Several reasons I suppose, my friends, my staff, kind people who attend my speaking presentations and want to hear more stories, more thoughts - perambulations - about this planet and my journeys over and across it, and more photos and sounds, my snapshots of a life that becomes more amazing as I grow older and realize how lucky, genuinely special and rare it has been.

But its also inspired by a fellow earthling - a creature I share little and everything with - her name is Natumi. She is a African elephant, now going on 10 years old, and living happily in the arid wilds of Kenya's East Tsavo National Park. She was the cover girl of my 2001 book Wild Orphans, the four year story of her and seven other orphaned babies struggle to survive and the amazing effort of the folks at the David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust outside of Nairobi Kenya to keep these little floppy-eared alive. Over the next few weeks I'll post a collection of previous writings and new thoughts on Natumi and those days and what I think they mean now - a decade later. And to not bore everyone to death I'll post a wealth of photos and video as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment